5 creative ways to find your perfect Tinder match:
Are you tired of endlessly swiping through Tinder profiles of dudes with dead animals they hunted?
Are you sick of swiping through Tinder profiles of dudes who can’t seem to find a shirt?
Are you sick of matching with dudes that appear to be normal, but are actually weird and send you unsolicited dick pics?
Do you feel hopeless that your perfect match is on Tinder?
Tinder can either be a hit or a miss; it all depends on how you use it! If you follow these five tips, your perfect match is guaranteed to be on Tinder!
Disclaimer: I identify as a straight woman, however, I recognize that many of my readers are not straight or a woman. This post is meant to help ANYONE regardless of sexual preference or gender find their partner on Tinder specifically. To my LGBTQ friends, Tinder may not be the best match for you, but I have heard that apps like Bumble and Grindr are great for finding a match. I hope that my advice related to Tinder also applies to these apps!
Here are 5 creative ways to find your perfect Tinder match:
- Make a list of desired characteristics: Yes, I want you to pull out a piece of paper and a pen (or pencil, or whatever) and write a list of characteristics you want in a partner. What do they look like? What are their interests? How tall are they? What kind of music do they listen to? Are they funny? Wise? Motivated? Wealthy? Interesting? Cool? Who is your dream person? Write these characteristics down and be as detailed as possible. Don’t be afraid to be honest with yourself. I know there are certain qualities that we’re hesitant to admit that we want in a man, like attractiveness. Truthfully speaking though, you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t care about looks at all! If you make a list of important qualities in a partner, you’ll be more likely to understand what you are looking for on Tinder. You’ll also be less likely to settle for a partner who is just mediocre to you! When you finally do come across someone who fits many of these characteristics it’ll be really easy to spot them.
- Set your preferences in the settings: Make sure that you enter in the gender of your preferred partner, their location, and their age. Take a look at your list during this process. How far away do you want your potential partner to be? Are you willing to drive 40 minutes, or would you rather have someone who lives a mile away? How old do you want your partner to be? Factor in your personal preferences and the process will be a breeze. If someone lives far from you but they’re an otherwise good match, don’t rule them out just yet. Sometimes the location indicator can be misleading, for instance, a match could work 40 minutes away from you but actually live within a couple miles of your house. If you want a straight answer about where a person lives in relation to you, just ask them when you match.
- Start swiping, but slow down!: Slowly begin swiping through your potential matches. If you swipe too fast, you could miss a great match! I’ve experienced this too many times and it sucks, especially because once that person is gone there’s almost no way to get them back. Take the time to look at a person’s profile and pictures if they pique your interest. Unfortunately, Tinder is not entirely representative of someone’s personality because of its design. You pretty much get a bio, a location, an age, and some photos. If you’re lucky, you get to see some of your mutual friends, their Facebook likes and their Instagram photos. This lack of information has led some people to quit Tinder altogether. But, there are ways to fix this design flaw. Look at someone’s biography, Facebook interests, and Instagram photos. If you see something in these areas that match up with your personal preferences, swipe right! Even if someone piques your interest just a little, swipe right. You never know, they may just like you back! If you guys match, then you can talk through the app to figure out whether you’re right for each other. It’s important to be picky on Tinder, but if you’re too picky you could miss out on a great person.
- Update your profile accordingly: If you want to meet your perfect match, you’ve got to update your profile to match what you’re looking for in a relationship. For example, if you want someone who likes a particular band, write about your interest in this band in your bio. You’re more likely to match with someone who likes that band too. If there are specific deal breakers for you, like you don’t want to be with someone that smokes cigarettes, put that in your profile. It will scare smokers away and put you one step closer to finding your perfect match. Some characteristics, like kindness or ex-girlfriend history, are not characteristics you’re going to find on their profile. You’ll just have to figure out these through talking to them through the app or by going on a date. Which brings me to my next point…
- Speaking of, make a list of ways you can find out whether they share the traits you’re searching for: Knowing what questions you want to ask them will increase your chances of finding out whether this person is right for you. For example, if you’re looking for someone who is smart, ask them what their favorite novel is or what their favorite subject in school was. If you’re looking for someone who is family-oriented, ask whether they are close with their family or not. These may seem like pointed questions, but you only want to go out with someone who checks most (or all) of your boxes. If you have to spend a lot of time talking through the app, that’s okay. It’s better to do that than to barely talk through the app, then suffer through a painful first date where you have nothing in common and he’s checking out the barista. You don’t want to waste any time on someone that doesn’t match up with your desired characteristics, believe me!
Finding the perfect match is definitely not easy, and as they say, you’ll have to kiss a lot of frogs before finding a toad. Tinder is a great way to find your perfect match if you just weed out all the losers. If you follow these tips, I guarantee that you’ll find a partner with all or most of the traits you’re looking for!